making python scripts backwards compatible

J.Jacob joost_jacob at hotmail.com
Sun May 5 03:56:07 EDT 2002

[Brian Quinlan]
> ... I wrote the
> module is question and, before reading this thread, I had no idea what
> the version requirements were (1). Are patch writers also required to
> test against multiple Python versions?

My post was in no way meant to say something bad about your module,
the module is great, the coding is clear, it has comments; so it was
not too much work for me to make it backwards compatible.  Just one
list comprehension and the odd "".split syntax.  It was just the last
one i did, chance.  As you mention in an earlier post many people are
volunteers and simply do not have enough time to add code for
backwards compatibility.  I would much rather have that you keep
producing good modules I have to adapt, than that you don't.  Keep up
the good job please!