making python scripts backwards compatible

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun May 5 13:01:50 EDT 2002

"James J. Besemer" <jb at cascade-sys.com> writes:

> I beg to differ.  Rather his request is quite reasonable.
>
> He merely asks to maintain backward compatibility OR (!) be sure to
> document your version requirements at the top of your source.

It is not clear from whom he is requesting such action, though.

> How can any reasonable person disagree?
>
> Only if he insisted on just the first half of his request would he then,
> arguably, be asking too much.

I think the OP is indeed requesting only the first
half. SimpleXMLRPCServer.py is part of the standard library in current
releases, and the standard library *only* works with the Python
interpreter that ships with it, not with earlier versions, not with
later versions.

Regards,
Martin