The vault and XP

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Tue May 14 05:49:17 EDT 2002

Drake || Mon 13 May 2002 08:44:21p:

>>[Vault (of parnassus?) won't work]

> Found the problem... ZoneAlarm!
> Vault will not open with ZA on "high" (internet) security.
> Must be set to medium or lower.
>
> BTW, "high" (internet) security is ZA recommmeded setting for all
> configs!

Hm, i've had a similar problem with ZA, though not involving python
(except that it also affects my upload scripts in py =). When attempting
to FTP upload stuff to my website, the return-handshakeing (or
something) is treated by ZA as an alert-- i get an alert with my FTPs IP
attached when I try to make contact. I think it may have something to do
with PASV* mode FTP, but i'm not really sure. Anyway, i run without ZA
often enough when I'm playing something like Unreal Tourny or Diablo 2
or other things where I can often see every single preformace twitchup
caused by anything on the system (i'm just too damn attuned to that sort
of thing, so they piss me off easily), so i've never considered it a big
deal to turn it off for a while -- I run it often enought that it should
1. Prevent random cases, 2. Prevent 'repeat customers' if they do get
in, 3. Prevent any backdoor type programs from operating properly. (I
don't have hardly anything of any real importance on here -- only a few
of my random recent doodles are unarchived.)

--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com