Packaging Dependant Files?

Ken Kinder usenet at kenkinder.com
Sun May 12 19:57:02 EDT 2002

Let's say I'm writing a GUI (PyGTK) application in Python, and I have
a variety of dependant non-Python files, ranging from XML to PNG files
that the program loads up and uses for various purposes like
displaying icons on buttons bars, etc. What I'd like to do is wrap all
these up in a nice little way somehow so I don't have to through the
user's hard drive. I don't really know where one might unpack my
program.

Is there a way I can wrap up these files in a pyc file so I can just
import them and get at their data like graphics['foo.png']? Somehow
wrap up data in Python source/bytecode files cleanly and easily?

Or what would you suggest? This is pretty much a *nix app.

(I've been using Python for a long time, but this is my first GUI
program)