Crashing IDLE

Gustavo Cordova gcordova at hebmex.com
Fri May 31 10:00:21 EDT 2002

> I really meant assembler as an analogy - Python's VM
> (interpreter if you prefer) is quite analgous to a CPU
> with C as the microcode for the underlying "simple" CPU.
> Too bad none of the user microcodable chips ever
> made it into production/broadspread use. It would be
> interesting to create a truly microcoded Python chip.
> Perhaps one of those 200,000 gate FPLA's....
> hmmmmmmm.
>
> > -Peter
>

> David LeBlanc
> Seattle, WA USA

Perhaps with a transmeta chip? Their supposed to do some
kind of programmable real-time translation between the code
they read through the bus to the code it actually executes.

On another track; I've been toying around with two ideas;
one is implementing Python on top of Forth, with it actually
generating forth code (and compiling it interactively) as
it's "bytecode"; the nice thing is, if done with a self-
hosting forth implementation, you can generate compact
native executable code from your python source. :-)

And, another different idea, more akin to Java, is to create
bindings from the Python interpreter to a nice new GPL'd
library which is a "Just-In-Time Assembler", I can't remember
it's name right now ("lightning"?); but it creates native
machine code from "pseudo-assembler" instructions, and
it's supposed to be multi-platform, so that the same "pseudo-
assembler" source is usable across all it's supported platforms.
This would be quite nice, and also, if anybody's working
with this lib, I'd be interested in getting a look.

Anyways, it's fry-day, and I hope you all have a nice
weekend :-)

Yay! Senegal wins!!

-gustavo