Python Cookbook (printed)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon May 6 04:04:02 EDT 2002

Ron Stephens wrote:
> I need some more time to fully absorb Boudewijn Rempt's book on Gui
> programming with the QT Toolkit. By the way, Shawn Gordon is putting out
> feelers to see if there is enough demand to do a re-printing, as the
> Kompany has sold out of the first printing.

What's theKompany gotta do with it?  I think you misunderstood Shawn's
message (on the Ba list) -- theKompany had a few copies, they sold those
and are trying to see if people are interested in buying copies from
them.  I don't think the first printing's sold out (BR can no doubt
confirm or deny that).

> My advice is that if for anyone interested in GUI programming, the book
> is well worth it. Especially if one is willing to buy the Black Adder
> GUI painter and IDE.

Yes, Qt and PyQt are interesting indeed and BR's book a useful book.

I'm _still_ confused about Qt's exact licensing conditions, particularly
for non-X versions, but maybe that's just me.  Technically, Qt is a
very large and not terribly simple GUI-and-not-just-GUI library, and
I'm not sure I'd be terribly happy with the prospect of programming it
in C++ directly, but PyQt is definitely OK -- Python helps a lot in
controlling complexity.

Haven't used BA much, even though I purchased a personal copy when I
also ordered BR's book, because I need to use Qt 3, which PyQt supports
just fine but BA doesn't (hopefully "doesn't yet" -- it's still a
beta BA that I have, after all).  QDesigner for painting, and making
Python source out of the resulting .ui XML file, seems to work fine
for my needs with Qt 3, though.

Alex