Has Red Hat helped or hurt?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat May 11 17:04:02 EDT 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 06:22:30PM -0700, John Baxter wrote:
>2.  Install Python (whatever) "beside" 1.5.2.

The RPMs available from python.org install Python 2.2 as
"/usr/bin/python2".  This works well for me.  Of course, it does mean that
if you want to have functionality available for both Pythons you have to
install them in both locations...

>This won't be fixed in RedHat until they decide to call something Red
>Hat 8 (which I hope goes better than 7.0 did).  They didn't upgrade at
>7.0 time because they had used the rand module without having noticed

Hah.  Lest you forget, it wasn't 7.0 that was bad, it was 7.1...  7.1
happened when a lot of publicity was going on with Red Hat (the company),
and I think they kind of pushed it out.  For KRUD, our Red Hat based
distribution, it was nearly 6 months before we felt the errata had brought
it up to a point where we could update to 7.1.  7.0 wasn't anywhere near as
bad...

Sean
--
 Fire at the celuloud factory.  No film at eleven.
                 -- _Kentucky_Fried_Movie_