Has Red Hat helped or hurt?

John Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.net
Wed May 8 21:26:35 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1020835276.10695.python-list at python.org>,
 Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> wrote:

> It's better to know if RedHat configuration tools can be run
> under Python 2.x. Has anybody done any tests on this?

Not without the rand module, for those tools which use it.

Most of the tools break badly under 2.x

Even some things that don't feel like tools, such as printing, broke in
some RH releases if python didn't mean 1.5.2 (I didn't care much, so I
couldn't print for several weeks once on the Linux "side" of the
laptop...then a chance message in a mailing list fixed the printing
problem for me).  I think printing in recent RH has now changed enough
that this issue is gone.

  --John