which db should I use?

Robert Amesz sheershion at mailexpire.com
Wed May 15 09:50:25 EDT 2002

Jim Richardson wrote:

> I have a project that I want to do with python. It involves a
> database table with  some 100,000 rows, total size about 400MB and
> climbing. I will be adding about 700 rows a day, and occasionally
> want to do a query, but only occasionally. (I am putting all the
> posts from an active newsgroup in to a db for data gathering, and
> to learn python and sql stuff) But I don't know which db module
> would work better for me?I am running this on a linux box, and
> cross platform is not a big deal, I am looking at both postgres
> and mysql. Since I have 0 experience with either one especially in
> context of interfacing with python. I'd like suggestions please.

This might be what you're looking for. From the MySQL manual:

| As of Version 3.23.23, MySQL has support for full-text indexing
| and searching. Full-text indexes in MySQL are an index of type
| FULLTEXT. FULLTEXT indexes can be created from VARCHAR and TEXT
| columns at CREATE TABLE time or added later with ALTER TABLE or
| CREATE INDEX. For large datasets, it will be much faster to load
| your data into a table that has no FULLTEXT index, then create the
| index with ALTER TABLE (or CREATE INDEX). Loading data into a
| table that already has a FULLTEXT index will be slower.
|
| Full-text searching is performed with the MATCH() function.

I haven't used this myself, but from experience I can say that using
MySQL from Python is pretty easy. You do have to know some basic SQL,
though. If you'd be using Windows I'd reccommend a tool like
MySQLFront, because it shows the SQL statements it sends to the MySQL
server, which is a nice way to learn by example.

Robert Amesz