Slight irritation with try/finally indentation

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sat May 4 11:09:32 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "François Pinard" <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca>

> The inherent legibility of the Python language is
> surely a productivity device for most people, but it
> also has its own artistic virtues.  For many of us, it
> is worth spending some time so our programs are more
> beautiful, for the pure sake of art.  Moreover, and
> interestingly, a common side-effect of such an effort
> is that programs get more maintainable!

Can't fault your logic there.  I always thought that
something like:

    begin:
        # initial code
    try:
        # code where exceptions may lurk
    finally:
        # clean-up

would be nice, but you surely know by now that I am
"bearish" in regards to changing the core language.

The "begin:" construct wouldn't even have to be linked
to "try...finally" semantically, since it would be, in
effect:

    if(1):
        # initial code

but adding new keywords is explicitly -1 score (or even
greater magnitude perhaps), so benefits would have to be
at least +2 score.  No way I can imagine that this would
be worth it.

Chris Gonnerman -- chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
http://newcenturycomputers.net