Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Wed May 1 14:18:49 EDT 2002

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
> Fine sentiment.  Now, under what circumstances would you recommend Perl
> over Python?

One feature of perl that Python lacks is the -T (taint checking) flag.
I always use it when writing web cgi's in perl and it frequently
catches something I missed.  In general, Perl's designers seem more
sensitive to these security issues and Python has dangerous
constructions that would never have been allowed in perl.
Examples include the "smart cookie" class and the input() function
(which eval's the input string).