matching one time through a loop

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu May 30 19:55:04 EDT 2002

> From: David K. Trudgett [mailto:dkt at registriesltd.com.au]
>
> On Friday 2002-05-31 at 09:32:49 +1000, Delaney, Timothy wrote:
>
> > > depends, was it naive perl too?
> >
> > Well, on that point, isn't all perl naive, in the sense
> that there is no
> > expectation that anyone else will read it?
> >
> > Explicit <wink> for those who can't read smileys ... ;)
>
> Perhaps the hardest part of Perl for beginners to read is regular
> expressions. What syntax does Python use for regular expressions? ;-)
> <wink/>

Seriously here ... by not having regular expressions be an integral part of
the language, I believe they become much more understandable. It is always
obvious when a regex is being used, and so they don't tend to contribute to
line noise.

In Perl, regexs tend to be hidden in amongst all the other constructs.

Tim Delaney