Stripped down python

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Mon May 6 05:40:11 EDT 2002

Michael Gilfix wrote:

>   I think someone had a thread going a while back on this but I can't
> find it in the archive or in any searches. Has anyone done any work on
> creating a stripped down version of python: essentially, I want all
> the core functionality of python (parser, compiler, and core objects)
> without any of the library functionality. I'm also interested in
> eliminating as many external dependencies of the interpreter so I can
> embed just the core language and not worry any external issues.

You could have a look at what I did for Zaurus Python
(http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/zaurus/index.php). I didn't change
the core at all, just did some work on analysing the interdependencies
between different modules. I left some modules in with the core - just
because they are too useful - but simple changes allowed others to be
removed.

For example, Zaurus Python does not require distutils and pydoc (and all
the lower level stuff that they depend on) to be installed.

Phil