Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Peter da Silva peter at abbnm.com
Sun May 5 16:45:29 EDT 2002

In article <82bsbvl5q1.fsf at acropolis.localdomain>,
Patrick W  <quitelikely at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> One of the (huge) (potential) advantages I see in the .NET framework,
> in spite of its unfortunate progeny, is that, with the ability to
> write the truly performance critical stuff in C wrapped in C#, you get
> a lot of the benefits of C++ without half the cruft of either the C++
> language or the fiddliness of COM. (And you get a whole lot more
> besides).

The fundamental problem is that C is not a good language to use for the
basis of a modern object-oriented language. Too much of the semantics are
hard-coded in the syntax, which is why C++ has so many increasingly desperate
kludges added in by finding obscure combinations of symbols that hadn't been
combined before.

I don't want to use a C-derived language for OO code, no matter whether it's
called C++, CO2, Objective C, C#, or Java.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate.  All