SSL still broken on Solaris ?

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu May 2 08:58:51 EDT 2002

bredel at gol.com (Philippe Bredel) writes:

>   A few months ago I was looking at SSL support in Python and decided
> to go back to this project yesterday. I was rather surprised to
> discover that socketmodule.c still doesn't call RAND_seed() despite
> the fact that the issue had been mentionned in earlier posts.

That isn't a bug in Python - it is a bug in your ssl installation.

>   I was initially using 1.5.2 on SunOS5.6, assumed it had been fixed
> so downloaded 2.2.1, recompiled w/ SSL support (I'm using openssl
> 0.9.6) and kept on getting the famous PRNG not seeded error message. I
> eventually found a post from Dave Beazley with his fix but the whole
> process was really painful.

I recommend to recompile OpenSSL with egd support, and install an
egd-compatible daemon, for example prngd.

>   There's a usable /dev/random file on my box but I just made a
> "dirty" recompile using a fixed seed to make sure it was fixing the
> problem.

If you have a /dev/random, then you should recompile OpenSSL to use it.

>   Any plans to address this issue in the upcoming releases ?

No, that's an SSL installation problem, not one of Python.

Regards,
Martin