"One Bullet is never enough" Paper

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Mon May 20 01:59:46 EDT 2002

Oops! Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> was seen spray-painting on a wall:

>> > I had to resort to Ctrl-F in Netscape to find the connection.  The
>> > paper *does* mention Python, almost in passing, and Forth...
>> >
>> > -Peter
>>
>> After skimming the paper (and Ctrl-F,etc.), I was interested to see
>> what the original discussion on this paper was.
>>
>> I didn't find an exact hit in comp.lang.forth, but did find this:
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=3CE57855.AE29FA7E%40tundraware.com
>>
>> I found the python portion especially interesting in light of Jython &
>> .Net:
>>
>> "I reserve the right to be wrong, but it seems to me that we ought to
>
> <SNIP>
>
> I am hopeful that both .NET and Jython (as well as other such efforts)
> yield meaningful results.  I have no direct experience with either, but
> I am a bit sceptical, only because such efforts historically (like
> the UCSD P system) have been less than spectacular.  Certainly, there is
> reason to believe this is more feasible today because of the much faster
> processors and larger memories at our disposal.
>
> .NET particularly ought to be view with great scepticism, IMO.  It seems
> clear to me that, for commercial reasons, the real focus of the CLR will
> be C# which does not really meet the 'multi-paradigm' requirement.

Indeed.

What would be much more interesting to see succeed would be the
Perl-related "Parrot VM."

Unlike the VMs from Sun and Microsoft, it has the merit that there's
nobody with gazillion dollar pocketbooks that have a commercial
interest in trying to make sure that would-be competitors fail.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/perl.html#PARROT