"One Bullet is never enough" Paper

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Mon May 20 03:14:29 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 05:30:02 GMT, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:

>I am hopeful that both .NET and Jython (as well as other such efforts)
>yield meaningful results.

As far as I can tell, the only meaningful result from .NET is to
cause one degree of separation between Bill's fingers and your
wallet, should you be unwise enough to use it.

>.NET particularly ought to be view with great scepticism, IMO.  It seems
>clear to me that, for commercial reasons, the real focus of the CLR will
>be C# which does not really meet the 'multi-paradigm' requirement.

It's been said that some languages are invented to make a point, and
other languages are invented to get a job done. An example of the
1st category might be Pascal; examples of the 2nd might be C and
C++.

To the best of my knowledge(*), C# is the only high-level language
designed explicitly to lock programmers in to a vendor.

(*) Which isn't that great, and I suspect langauges such as PL/1
had a similar motivation.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically