Has Red Hat helped or hurt?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Wed May 8 12:37:25 EDT 2002

"James J. Besemer" <jb at cascade-sys.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1020850753.9752.python-list at python.org>...
> Tim Roberts wrote:
>
> > Do you install Python 2.x into a
> > separate directory and grumble every time you have to change the #! line in
> > your scripts?

No, this is a pretty inconvenient way of solving the problem. See
below...

> If it's just YOU -- that is your own private scripts not ones you make
> generally available, you can setup your path to grab the proper version of
> python.  Then log in as somebody else to run the Linux sys admin stuff.

Well, since the only user who can run the sysadmin stuff (or who is
likely to do so) is 'root', then I would suggest setting up paths for
other users which do indeed point to more recent Python versions. In
fact, that's what I do...

http://webware.colorstudy.net/twiki/bin/view/Webware/PythonVersionConflicts

Linux is a multi-user operating system after all.

Paul