Slight irritation with try/finally indentation

Ken Seehof kseehof at neuralintegrator.com
Fri May 3 23:48:32 EDT 2002

David Eppstein wrote:
> In article <3cd2c922.692157118 at news>,
>  ullrich at math.okstate.edu (David C. Ullrich) wrote:
>
> > >    setup()
> > >    try:
> > >        process()
> > >    finally:
> > >        cleanup()
> > >    [...]
> > >
> > >What I find irritating is that `cleanup()' is not aligned anymore with
> > >`setup()', as it was originally, so we loose on the legibility of the
> > >parenthetical idiom we wanted to stress.
> >
> > Exactly the same thing bothered me years ago with try-finally in
> > another language (where the indentation was optional). I never
> > got around to complaining about it, though...
>
> You could always do
>
> if 1: # indent to match try-finally
>    setup()
> try:
>    process()
> finally:
>    cleanup()

Hmm.  This thread reminds me of the brilliant solution to the
very serious :-) lack of begin and end block markers for python:

if x:
#begin
    for j in range(4): #{
        f(j);
    #}
#endif

I wonder how many python programmers would have switched to a
different language if Fredrik Lundh and Michael McLay hadn't
made these undocumented keywords known to the public.

http://www.python.org/doc/Humor.html#parsing

- Ken