[ANN] Puffin: Web Application Testing Framework

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Thu May 23 05:44:02 EDT 2002

usenet123 at samba-choro.com.br (Paulo Eduardo Neves) wrote in message news:<9c152b57.0205221046.64a14cb8 at posting.google.com>...
> "A. Keyton Weissinger" <lists at weissinger.org> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for any and every way I can make Puffin better. So don't
> > > hesitate to contact me if you find a bug or think of a feature you want. I
> > > will make whatever time is required to make Puffin better fit
> > > your needs and
> > > its purpose!
>
> How does Puffin compares to httpunit?
> http://httpunit.sourceforge.net/

Another comparable project is the Apache Latka project, written in
Java, which uses XML comfiguration files to test HTTP conversations.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/latka/index.html

I haven't had enough time to look at either Latka or Puffin, but I do
intend to start using one of them soon.

I like the idea of Puffin, because it's pure python.

IMHO, Python is far superior to Java for this type of application,
principally because of the ability to dynamically extract
strings/numbers from the returned resource, turn them into a piece of
python code by simple string manipulation, and 'eval()' it into a
result which can be directly acted upon.

I'll be looking closely at Puffin.

Regards,

Alan Kennedy.