Good book on Python?

Federico Caboni msx at crs4.it
Thu Mar 14 07:35:53 EST 2002

On 14-03-2002 12:26, in article
Pine.GSO.4.43.0203141117120.6137-100000 at muir, "Antonis C Koutalos"
<ack at ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I would greatly appreciate information about a good book on python. I
> have been programming C for a few years, but I know next to nothing about
> python. Therefore, I would appreciate a book that describes the basics of
> python as well as the more advanced features of the language.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> -A.

Hi,
There are a lot of books about Python nowadays (and, yes,that's GOOD).
I found "Python Essential Reference" by New Riders a very useful book
(that is, if you want a brief but deep explanation of the language,
Provided that you had previous programming experience with other
Languages..) but, AFAIK, it's still based on Python 1.5.2.

I recently bought "Programming Python" by O'Really, and I have to admit
That I don't know if I like it.
It's a very "strange" book, very diifferent from the more famous
"Programming
Perl".
In my opinion it's more like a big cookbook.
And...it assumes you already know the language.
Maybe it can be useful if you already read Python Essential Reference or
Learning Python.

I hope you find this useful.
Bye,

 / ___)| __ \/ ___)/ /| |   / ___)| \| |/ ___) Federico Caboni (msx at crs4.it)
| (___ |    /\___ \\__  | * \___ \|    |\___ \ Software & Network Solutions
  CRS4, Center for Adv. Studies, Research and Development in Sardinia