mx odbc result strings with special characters?

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Mar 4 01:26:13 EST 2002

On Sun, 03 Mar 2002 19:32:03 GMT, "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

>Alexander Jerusalem wrote:
>
>> Ok, thanks for your reply. Here's my output:

>> ('aa1', '\xd6sterreich-Ungarn', None, None)
>>
>> And it's the same when I write the resultset to a file, so I don't
>> believe that it's just a display problem.
>
>on the other hand:

>Österreich-Ungarn

More illustration (clipped from IDLE with 2.1) using
example data from above:

 >>> print ('aa1', '\xd6sterreich-Ungarn', None, None)
 ('aa1', '\xd6sterreich-Ungarn', None, None)
 >>> print ('aa1', '\xd6sterreich-Ungarn', None, None)[1]
 Österreich-Ungarn

and

 >>> oe = ('aa1', '\xd6sterreich-Ungarn', None, None)[1][0]
 >>> print oe, `oe`, str(oe), repr(oe), (oe, hex(ord(oe)))
 Ö '\xd6' Ö '\xd6' ('\xd6', '0xd6')
                    ^^^^^^

I.e., it's not the data character, it's the presentation
that depends on context here.

HTH
Regards,
Bengt Richter