Seek fame(*) & fortune(**) as a Python developer

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Thu Mar 7 21:06:05 EST 2002

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:
> Whether or not you want to be able to check files into the CVS repository,
> if you want to contribute, you should probably subscribe to the python-dev
> mailing list.  You can subscribe here:

> If you'd like checkin privileges, send me (skip at pobox.com) an email with
> "Python developer" in the subject.  Don't simply reply to this message.
> Your note may well get lost (I get tons of email) among followups that are
> just feedback about this message.  Let me know where your Python interests
> and experience are, and maybe point to some stuff you've done.  I'll do a
> little filtering (probably not a lot), then pass it along to another group
> of people who will decide about granting CVS checkin privileges.

This disturbs me.  I'd prefer that checkin privileges be extremely
limited.  I don't want random crackers to be able to check trojan
horses into the Python distribution.  I'd rather that every patch be
examined by one of the official maintainers before check-in, as is
done with the Linux kernel and the main GNU stuff.  Of course I can't
expect the maintainers to do exhaustive security analysis of every
single patch, but they should at least eyeball the patches for obvious
bugs and trojans.