Seek fame(*) & fortune(**) as a Python developer

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin at ute.mems-exchange.org
Thu Mar 7 23:31:19 EST 2002

In article <7xd6yflsoi.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:
> This disturbs me.  I'd prefer that checkin privileges be extremely
> limited.  I don't want random crackers to be able to check trojan
> horses into the Python distribution.  I'd rather that every patch be

Note that all CVS checkins result in a diff being sent to the
Python-checkins mailing list, so patches would be still be getting
proofread after the fact.  This is particularly true for a new
developer.  People may let a patch from /F or Martin or one of the
PythonLabs gang go by without inspection, but a new committer would
likely be under the microscope.

(On the other hand, granting people commit privileges right off the
bat doesn't seem really necessary.  Just figuring out bugs and
submitting patches for someone else to check in would help a lot, and
that doesn't need commit privileges.)

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
Here the only logic is that there isn't any logic.
    -- The Doctor, in "The Ultimate Foe"