microthreads and C calls Re: Stackless Platform Independence?

Frederic Giacometti frederic.giacometti at arakne.com
Mon Mar 4 21:53:21 EST 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:
> > Makes pretty much sense to me.
> > Stackless can provide light-weight threads to all platforms.
> > There is no need to use OS threads unless you need it
> > for I/O.
>
> Do you think it's feasible to modify Python to use non-blocking i/o
> everywhere, and then simulate blocking in Stackless?  I.e. when a
> microthread does an i/o operation, Python would start the operation
> asynchronously, and the Stackless microthread scheduler would block
> the microthread til the i/o operation actually completes (detected
> using select or SIGIO).

Yes; that's pretty much what I described earlier. Without change,
existing modules would keep working as they do presently, though.
Existing C modules would have to be slightly edited to take advantage of
the new capability, though.
I could add the feature to the Python engine myself, but I need funding.
Sponsors...?

Frederic Giacometti