Problem with popen() and a regular expression

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 08:15:32 EST 2002

marduk wrote:
> You're better off using htmllib (and httplib for that matter).  I haven't
> looked at your examples, but I can tell just by looking at your code that
> it will fail, for example, when "<title>" and "</title>" are on seperate
> lines in the HTML.  Also, I might be mistaken, but it doesn't look like
> you are re search is case insensitive.
>
> Either way, try the htmllib.  It takes care of all that stuff for you!

I'd love to (mainly to avoid the averhead of running lynx about a
hundred times) - unfortunately my University web server doesn't have the
socket module properly installed which means nearly all of the web
related python modules won't run :/

I'm willing to risk multi line titles not working for the moment (after
all they are pretty rare and my script is only being used in a very
limited capacity) - thanks for the tips though :)