Problem with popen() and a regular expression

Steven Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Thu Mar 7 11:36:09 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Simon Willison wrote:

> marduk wrote:
> > You're better off using htmllib (and httplib for that matter).  I haven't
> > looked at your examples, but I can tell just by looking at your code that
> > it will fail, for example, when "<title>" and "</title>" are on seperate
> > lines in the HTML.  Also, I might be mistaken, but it doesn't look like
> > you are re search is case insensitive.
> >
> > Either way, try the htmllib.  It takes care of all that stuff for you!
>
> I'd love to (mainly to avoid the averhead of running lynx about a
> hundred times) - unfortunately my University web server doesn't have the
> socket module properly installed which means nearly all of the web
> related python modules won't run :/

You could install _socket.so somewhere under your own home directory
and add it to PYTHONPATH. ( Although I'm not sure how they could get
it inproperly installed -- all it takes is 'make install' -- unless
there are some particular problems with the architecure you're on. )

-- Steve Majewski