Good book on Python?

William Sonna wlsonna at attglobal.net
Thu Mar 14 19:46:24 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:26:01, Antonis C Koutalos <ack at ee.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>  I would greatly appreciate information about a good book on python. I
> have been programming C for a few years, but I know next to nothing about
> python. Therefore, I would appreciate a book that describes the basics of
> python as well as the more advanced features of the language.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> -A.

The Quick Python Book by Harms/McDonald is an excellent book if you
want to get up to speed in a hurry.

The best way I can think of to describe it is as a "Cliff Notes" for
Python.  Very terse and well-organized (and consequently VERY easy to
browse) - just like Python itself.  The book has saved me many, many
hours.

It focuses primarily on the base language - you won't find much about
the more advanced packages, other than a terse, well-organized summary
of several of them (and information about where to get more info).

If there was a "Quick Java Book" or a "Quick C++ Book" I'd buy them in
a heartbeat.