Python on Windows soon forbidden by Micro$oft?

Mike Dean klaatu at evertek.net
Wed Mar 13 16:46:30 EST 2002

* rasmussn at lanl.gov <rasmussn at lanl.gov> [2002-13-03 09:10]:
> After all, the GPL forbids linking GPL code with non GPL code, i.e.
> MS libraries.  At least I think so from reading the GPL FAQ
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html).  For example, in answer to
>
> I am writing free software that uses non-free libraries. What legal issues
> come up if I use the GPL?
>
> [quote from the GNU GPL faq]
>
> Since VC++ is not normally distributed with the operating system, I would
> assume
> that MS VC++ libraries are not compatible with GPL code.

But the core MS VC++ libraries are distributed with Windows 98 and
higher, and are at least commonly available on virtually all Windows
systems (Unless a system is very old and isolated, it probably has some
version of msvcrt.dll on it, as well as mfc42.dll).

As I see it (though I'm no lawyer, let alone copyright law expert), the
restrictions become A., if the PythonLabs team upgrades to a newer
version of Visual C++, they can no longer distrubute updated runtimes
with Python, and B., people cannot use newer versions of Microsoft tools
to develop multi-language products involving Python or any other open
source software, and distribute runtimes with that (which basically
outlaws creating VB-Python combination programs).  And one cannot use
open-source tools to build any part of an application that will have
Microsoft runtimes distributed with it.

But that's just my $.02 - correct me if I'm wrong on anything please!

-Mike