Python on Windows soon forbidden by Micro$oft?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Mar 13 16:00:06 EST 2002

Andrew Koenig wrote:

> Rather, it seems to me that Microsoft is saying that they will not
> allow their products to be used in any way that might potentially
> compel Microsoft to disclose any of their own source code.

Right, but they then go on to say that, in order to prevent such compulsion for Microsoft,
that the users of the software may not use it with, or to produce, Open Source software.
(Or even distribute the code you produce with it, alongside a separate Open Source
product!)  The idea that doing so would put any sort of obligation on Microsoft is
ludicrous, yet that is exactly the implied claim of the license terms.  That, along with
the use of the blatantly inflammatory term "potentially viral software", is a clear
indication that this is a strong attempt by MS to frighten people away from Open Source.  I
question whether these license terms could stand up in court, but even if it is eventually
ruled illegal, it can do a lot of harm before that point.

I'm not as fond of bashing MS products as some others, but their corporate policies scare
me.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International