hotmail

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Thu Mar 7 14:14:27 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Bertrand Geston wrote:

> I would like to retrieve mails from Hotmail and I wonder if it is not
> 'better' to use COM/DOM on Outlook express that can, if I am not mistaken,
> retrieve mails from Hotmail using http requests. By 'better', I mean less
> linked to the hotmail site layout (but OK linked to the Oultook DOM
> interface) and probably quicker.

Last time I checked Outlook Express could do Hotmail but Outlook couldn't
(well, it could if you count Outlook opening a browser window to the
Hotmail site - very cheesy).

I'm all for not being tied to a particular site layout, but I will point
out that the Hotmail site is very easy to scrape data off of relative to
many other sites. The address book example I posted relied on 5 pieces of
site info, one of which isn't overly important (the logout button) and two
of which will probably never change (username/password).

If you do go the Outlook Express route, please share your results here!
-Dave