hotmail

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Thu Mar 7 14:34:47 EST 2002

Quoting Bertrand Geston (bergeston at yahoo.fr):
> Seems to be magic, thanks for the question and for the response. Really
> interesting.
> I would like to retrieve mails from Hotmail and I wonder if it is not
> 'better' to use COM/DOM on Outlook express that can, if I am not mistaken,
> retrieve mails from Hotmail using http requests. By 'better', I mean less
> linked to the hotmail site layout (but OK linked to the Oultook DOM
> interface) and probably quicker.
>
> Any thought, idea, code snippets ?

I did some research on this once upon a time, and I think Outlook
Express actually uses POP, but the POP authentication is hooked into
the Microsoft Passport system. And I think newer versions of Outlook
are supposed to support Hotmail, but older versions don't.

I was able to locate one (commercial) product that would fetch mail
from Hotmail as if it were an Outlook Express client, but it was a
Windows product and I was really wanting something I could use on
Linux.

I settled on gotmail and moved my free email to yahoo, where they let
you POP if you agree to let them spam you with ads, but stuff still
trickles into my hotmail -- give me a shout if you get something
working "the hard way"!

Hope the little bit of informational content in this message helps....

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts        <geoff at gerrietts dot net>
"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments