CP4E was Re: Deitel and Deitel Book...

Christopher Encapera ChrisE at lantech.com
Wed Mar 6 15:42:38 EST 2002

As someone who just learned (a little) Python and wrote my first useful Ap a
few days ago, I would like to jump in here with my 1.5 cents.  Perhaps
another limitation to this analogy is, it seems to me, that programming IS
syntax and it's manipulation, and meaning is to be found in the (meaningful)
manipulation of the data.  A child, or adult, is inherently flexible when it
comes to syntax, but a computer is (inherently) not.  Thus:

A child:

I want da purtee pituur

or

Give me give me give me give me

or

Will you show me the pretty picture please?

Whereas a computer accepts only (or some strict variant):

# Pseudo code for opening an imaging app, and sending output to print
device...

Thus, the need for jumping right into syntax immediately (if you want to
produce anything even remotely meaningful)

Also concerning logic, I think it would be (perhaps) more accurate to say
that people think (and solve most of their problems) at a higher level of
abstraction - more in the realm of "meanings" and "relationships" where many
different kinds of knowledge and inter-connectedness come into play.  The
thought world of formal logic and mathematics is too rigid to be the sole
(or even a major factor) in most thinking.  For example, my wife "thinks"
that my desk is "too messy" and that I need to "organize it", but what she
does not realize is that every pile is an organization (of sorts), and that
I...etc. etc (until the end of our hopefully "meaningful" lives :)

Christopher Encapera
Lantech.Com
chrise at lantech.com
502-267-4200