Streaming XML-RPC?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Mon Mar 25 08:39:21 EST 2002

I'm thinking about implementing a library that uses the xml-part of
XML-RPC (i.e. XML-RPC without the HTTP) in two-way persistent stream
(tcp socket) somewhat like Jabber, to improve performance. (Although I
haven't tested it yet, it seems that HTTP must be one of the
performance killers in XML-RPC.)

My original idea was to let only requests go in one direction, and
both directions might be useful as well, perhaps? That way the client
wouldn't need to run a socket server to be able to receive calls from
the server.

Before I start playing with this -- has anyone else done similar
things? Are there such implementations available already? Is it a
futile project? And if there are no implementations for Python --
perhaps there are for some other languages?

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org