shared memory block

Gerhard Hõring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Wed Mar 20 09:18:48 EST 2002

In article <3C9893B2.53A8255F at mathworks.fr>, Boris Huart wrote:
> Well I am using a real-time system and I only have a Python library to get
> about 20 floats calculated on the platform. Then I have implemented a Java
> applet which needs those data to interact via an External Aauthoring
> Interface with a VRML plugin embedded in IE. My problem is how to make the
> python script and the java applet communicate together.

XML-RPC or a custom programmed protocol via sockets seems to be the way to go.
If you're using Python 2.2, xml-rpc is part of the standard library, else it is
available here: http://www.pythonware.com/products/xmlrpc/index.htm.

This is a XML-RPC library for Java: http://xml.apache.org/xmlrpc/server.html

I think you'll have to do some tricks to work around Java's security model to
actually get an XML-RPC server running in your Java applet. I think you'll get
the best answers for disabling/working around that for the MS JVM in a
Microsoft Java newsgroup. Or maybe Google has some anwsers.

The only thing I can tell you is that the signed applet way is a major PITA.

Gerhard