Python on Windows soon forbidden by Micro$oft?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Mar 11 23:51:35 EST 2002

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <3C8CAA83.9EBBC03E at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen wrote:
> > Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> >
> >> Didn't you know? Microsoft invented Open Source!  ;)
> >
> > No, that was Al Gore!
>
> Ya know, I've actually read the transcript of that interview.
> He never claimed to have invented the Internet, only to have
> been responsible for funding it.

I hadn't read it either, but I remembered the words quoted as
"invented the information superhighway".  Well, searching on Google
(of course :-) using search pattern:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22al+gore%22+information+superhighway+invented

turned up this:

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,39301,00.html which
discusses how the use of the word "invented" was, well, invented,
but that Al really did say he "took the initiative in creating
the Internet".

Furthermore, in a speech he gave in 1994
(see http://artcontext.com/cal/97/superhig.txt), he claimed:

 "Incidentally, when I first coined the phrase "information
  superhighway" 15 years ago, I was not prepared for some of the
  unusual images it would ultimately bring into our language.
 "

Fascinating, really.

(Notes: I'm Canadian, but I like Al anyway, and the articles quoted
indicated that he really did play a significant role in bringing
into the world much of the infrastructure we are using right now.)

-Peter