Text Search Engine that works with Python

Stuart Bishop zen at shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Tue Mar 12 18:48:23 EST 2002

On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 01:41  PM, Doug Farrell wrote:

> So the requirements of the search engine are that it compress the text
> (or have index files so small that compression is un-necessary) and
> the retrieval engine have an API accessible to Python, not implemented
> as a command line tool. I want to incorporate the search engine into a
> larger application that links the text together with media. I know, I
> know, big demands, but that's why it's in the conceptual stage with me
> right now.

You may want to download a copy of Zope and see if the ZCatalog
product meets all your requirements. I don't think the indexes are
compressed, but they may be small enough for your needs anyway.
If this is an issue, I believe there is a ZODB storage implementation
that stores objects in a compressed format (but they still will chew
up RAM). You can talk to the Zope database directly from Python without
the need to run the Zope application server so it should interface
nicely with your GUI (the Standalone ZODB and just ZCatalog from the
Zope distribution might be more suitable in the long run for your
product since you won't get all the cruft you don't care about, but
using the Zope distribution initially gives you everything out of the
box with no hassles).

--
Stuart Bishop <zen at shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>
http://shangri-la.dropbear.id.au/