MySQL's applicability (was: Java and Python)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Mar 21 08:31:44 EST 2002

In article <3C999C77.3010801 at pobox.com>,
Ahmed Moustafa  <amoustafa at pobox.com> wrote:
>Cameron Laird wrote:
>> Undeniably.  That's certainly the conclusion of "the first time
>> a computer publication has published database benchmark results
>> ...", as *eWeek* did in its 25 February 2002 issue.  The subtitle
>> of the article was "Oracle9i and MySQL top the field ..."
>>
>> So, no, MySQL is NOT "related to small to mid-size web applica-
>> tions".
>
>They were measuring the response times. A file-based application may do
>the function with a response time in the same order which doesn't imply
>that a file-based app is comparable to Oracle 9i. Their test generated
>200,000 orders, that is a small-size web application, right? Also, parts
>of the test used the nontransactional engine of MySQL!
>
>--
>Ahmed Moustafa

You're right.  I agree that comparison has plenty of flaws.
>From your original posting, I couldn't tell whether such
subtleties were meaningful to you.

There certainly are many people who believe that 200,000
orders is ... well, at least not "small-size".  Now I know
that you know better.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net