distutils question

Brian Kelley bkelley at wi.mit.edu
Wed Mar 6 12:45:46 EST 2002

I'm trying to bundle some example files using distutils and have been
running into some problems.

setup(name="frowns",
      version="0.2",
      package_dir = {'':".."},

       data_files=[('examples', ['examples/example1.py',
                                 'docs/frowns.html']

What I was expecting was that a directory examples will be created in
the frowns destination directory.  However it is being placed (under
windows) in the python install directory.

The .py files are also being compiled to pyo and pyc.  This isn't so bad
but I'm thinking they probably shouldn't be for documentation examples.

I was thinking about making the destination file "doc/frowns" which
would probably work under windows installs since there is already a doc
directory.  Would this work under Linux/Unix?

So the real question is, how do people distribute documentation and
example code?  I've regressed and decided to put the documentation
inside a zip file or a tarball and distribute them seperately which is
not to terribly satisfying.

Also, if any body can tell me how to generate module level docstrings in
a boost.python enabled package, I would appreciate the tip.

Brian Kelley
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research