The language vs. the environment

Tom Good Tom_Good1 at excite.com
Fri Mar 8 13:07:20 EST 2002

paul at boddie.net (Paul Boddie) wrote in message news:<23891c90.0203080727.30419fd8 at posting.google.com>...
> Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote in message news:<uofhz8ijm.fsf at python.net>...
> >
> > This isn't true.  You need to know how to use "cvs" and "diff", and
> > *some* bugs require a "Python internals skill level" of at least 11
> > out of 10, but most don't and many probably don't require more that 3
> > or 4 out of ten.  Besides, what better way of acquiring the skill to
> > fix deep bugs than to practice fixing shallow ones?
>
> My point exactly. I increased my "skill level" by 1 point (alright,
> 0.5 points, then) when I went looking inside the import mechanism,
> although I then took the easy way out and passed the problem over to
> some willing Python gurus instead of fixing it myself. (Actually, I
> couldn't have fixed it definitively myself - there was a "policy"
> thing that needed addressing.)
>
> Paul

This skill level point system sounds like it could be the basis of a
Python Role-Playing Game.  "My Python Wizard character just gained a
level.  Now  which statistic should I increase: Python Internals,
ZOPE, Generators, or PEPs?  ZOPE would help me in combat against
web-based monsters, but I'll recover hit points more quickly with
Generators . . ."