The language vs. the environment

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Fri Mar 8 10:27:35 EST 2002

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote in message news:<uofhz8ijm.fsf at python.net>...

> This isn't true.  You need to know how to use "cvs" and "diff", and
> *some* bugs require a "Python internals skill level" of at least 11
> out of 10, but most don't and many probably don't require more that 3
> or 4 out of ten.  Besides, what better way of acquiring the skill to
> fix deep bugs than to practice fixing shallow ones?

My point exactly. I increased my "skill level" by 1 point (alright,
0.5 points, then) when I went looking inside the import mechanism,
although I then took the easy way out and passed the problem over to
some willing Python gurus instead of fixing it myself. (Actually, I
couldn't have fixed it definitively myself - there was a "policy"
thing that needed addressing.)

Paul