Streaming XML-RPC?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Tue Mar 26 13:41:53 EST 2002

In article <3C9F51EE.5000203 at jerf.org>, Jeremy Bowers wrote:
>Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
>> I'm thinking about implementing a library that uses the xml-part of
>> XML-RPC (i.e. XML-RPC without the HTTP) in two-way persistent stream
>> (tcp socket) somewhat like Jabber, to improve performance.
>
>Why not Jabber? Jabber is meant to do that. It's designed to do that.
>It's *begging* you to use it that way.
>
>This is in stark contrast to HTTP. HTTP thinks you're nuts. HTTP will
>fight you tooth and nail. HTTP is old, and hoary, and set in her ways.
>And XML-RPC isn't exactly ecstatic about being streamed, either.

Well, jabber-rpc is just XML-RPC in a Jabber stream... :)

>Why fight the system when you can work with another one?

Simplicity. Setting up a Jabber server and using Jabber clients may be
overkill if I can  add 20 lines of code in subclasses of
xmlrpclib.Server and SimpleXMLRPCServer. But, yes, Jabber is cool.
(And the standard server is written in C, so, of course, that would
help performance ;)

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org