Win32 2.2 & 2.1.2

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Mar 4 19:14:28 EST 2002

Robin Becker wrote:

> Is there a way to install Python 2.2 after 2.1.2 and keep 2.1.2 as the
> default for a win32 box. It would allow us to dip a toe in the water
> without drowning.

I've seen the many other replies, but none pointed out that the installer
with 2.2 has an "Advanced Options..." button which lets you install under
the per-user area of the registry instead of the per-machine area.  This,
combined with telling it not to register the file extensions, might
limit the "damage" to a single user on that machine.  If you set up
a special user just to catch the new installation, it might work reasonably
painlessly.  Of course, I haven't tested this approach myself so YMMS
("s" for suck...)

-Peter