Python on Windows soon forbidden by Micro$oft?

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Wed Mar 13 12:06:08 EST 2002

Le 13/03/02 à 09:10, rasmussn at lanl.gov écrivit:

> On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 02:54 PM, phil hunt wrote:
> >
> >Lying to get money = fraud
> >
> >I think MicroShit's directors and laywers should be banged up for a
> >few years.
>
> Let me throw out a different interpretation on Microsoft's actions.
>
> As I was reading Microsoft's license, I thought of it in relation to
> the GPL.
> Maybe Microsoft is just covering it's backside so that users of their
> products won't use it in ways that will break the GPL. [...]

I cannot imagine they'd waste a thought on wether their users break
other people's/companies licenses, because there's no way Microsoft
could get into trouble because of that.

So that only leaves that they're spreading FUD intentionally.

Btw. all EULUs contain something like: "To the maximum extent permitted
by applicable law [bla bla bla]". The reason is that often, their
requirements do not conform to some national laws. One example is
reverse-engineering binaries, which *is* legal in some countries (using
the retrieved information commercially is of course a different matter).

I don't know the legal term for this, but there are certain rights which
you cannot give away, even if you "agree" to in a contract.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 17.0 °C      Wind: 2.8 m/s