Deitel and Deitel Book...

Dennis Roark denro at NSPAMearthlink.net
Mon Mar 4 17:42:52 EST 2002

Sheila King <usenet at thinkspot.net> wrote in
news:a5t3f9.3vsf871.1 at kserver.org:
> In
> fact, I know some teachers who think that their book is practically
> the C++ gospel or something. I never had that high an opinion of their
> book. As I related, I didn't choose it for the text when I taught C++.
> I considered several other books, and ended up with the one by Walter
> Savitch. And while the narrative was very good in Savtich's book,
> there not enough good exercises and programming assignments for my
> high school students, and I was always having to search other books
> for that type of stuff...

First books in C++ are mostly a dissappointing lot, surprisingly so.
The Lippman and Lajoie and books by Bruce Eckel are good for students
who have some familiarity with programming.  I've used the Savitch and
Main and Savitch books, and a host of others searching for the "perfect
book".  I've considered D&D, but I could never stomach its approach (not
truly object oriented from the ground up) and conceptual errors or
weaknesses (some mentioned in this thread).  There will probably be many
grumbles with this suggestion, but the best I have found for the first
introduction is Lafore, Object Oriented Programming in C++.  But I am
really interested in weaving Python into the CS courses including the
first year courses.  I am taking tentative steps in that direction this
year and next.

--
Dennis Roark

denro at earthlink.net