Standalone CGI Server - Question for Group

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Thu Mar 28 21:21:00 EST 2002

Sloth wrote in comp.lang.python:
> I've looked at Apache, Xitami, Zope, Medusa, et. al and think they are
> wonderful applications.  On the other hand, they are overkill for what
> I want to be able to do - have Python start a CGI server, serve a
> page, get form data, get data from a database, and display dynamic
> content.  I don't need anything industrial strength, just something
> that can handle a single user.

Maybe it's just me, but I often have difficulties to understand the
point of the "overkill" argument.

> Any thoughts?  I sincerely appreciate everyone's help!

If you can spare 5 megs of RAM and a little disk space, just go for
Apache (or Xitami, or whatever). When you're running the webserver and
are not using it currently, it'll be swapped out anyway, so why
bother?

It's a myth that Apache is complex to get running, here's what you'd
need to do on Windows:

1) Install Python
2) Install Apache
3) edit etc/httpd.conf and add the line

    ScriptInterpreterSource Registry

   at the end of the file.

4) Write your Python CGI scripts in cgi-bin and name them .py

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0