Windows versions of Python---pros and cons?

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Wed Jun 19 18:53:09 EDT 2002

Hi folks-

I've been using Python heavily on a Solaris box and a Mac for a
few years now.  For reasons I'll spare you from, I now am venturing
into Windows territory (a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop, if that matters).
I see at least two Windows versions of Python---that at Python.org,
and the ActiveState version.  The obvious "pro" for the ActiveState
version is simplicity of the install (batteries included, etc.).
But what about after that?  Are their substantial differences between
the versions that I will bump into down the line?  In particular,
I write many C extensions; can one use distutils and the Borland
or gcc free compilers to build C extensions in both versions?

Thanks for your patience and advice for this PythonWin newbie!

-Tom Loredo