application development - separating content from function

Henry Baumgartl h.baumgartl at chello.NOSPAM.nl
Thu Jun 20 13:39:42 EDT 2002

For eight months now, I am preparing for the development of an open source
Python application to support individuals in Life Long Learning. It will be
a mixture of PIM, extended diary, groupware, project management, and modules
to interact with centralised knowledge / skill exchange servers.

Most of the user activity is done on individual boxes. However, when and if
needed, the application must provide intuitive and standardised interaction
with fellow network members (e.g. project workgroups, mentor, and such) and
centralised server modules.

What needs to be done is:
1. Develop GUIs and modules that are interchangeable on, at least, Linux,
Windows, and Mac.
2. Use the modularity of Python to allow personalised application
adaptation, thus requiring an effective way of integrating personal
variables into almost all scripts.
3. And, last but not least ;-) the application needs to be multi-lingual.

The more I have tried to solve these requirements in an elegant and
efficient manner, the further I seem to stray from anything remotely
resembling a viable solution. In other words, I can't see the forest for the
trees anymore.

Anyone working on something similar? Or, just plain brilliant in all things
Python, and ready and willing to point me in the right direction and make it
all worth while again :-)

Help!

Henry Baumgartl
Dynamic Knowledge Network

*Please remove .NOSPAM from my e-mail address when abswering me directly.*