application development - separating content from function

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Thu Jun 20 13:54:12 EDT 2002

> The more I have tried to solve these requirements in an elegant and
> efficient manner, the further I seem to stray from anything remotely
> resembling a viable solution. In other words, I can't see the forest for the
> trees anymore.
>
> Anyone working on something similar? Or, just plain brilliant in all things
> Python, and ready and willing to point me in the right direction and make it
> all worth while again :-)

you should try to solve part of the problem rather than all of it at once.  The
first implementation almost always reveals hidden issues.  If you try to make
this thing as full featured as you like from the beginning you will never
finish it.  Or it will be so overly complex it will crumble.

Think about issues like multi-language support when you are coding so it is
easier to add in later.  Same for user customization.  But adding all of those
choices at once leads to difficult to implement and test code.