Python and Eclipse

Paolo Invernizzi paoloinvernizzi at dmsware.com
Tue Jun 25 13:24:31 EDT 2002

> Eclipse is open source, so no matter what
> IBM decides, interested parties could pick
> it up and run if necessary.

I've read the licence, I've understood that I can release product based
on Eclipse, either commercially, either compiled, preserving the
copyright note and a link to original eclipse source... but I'm a
terrible reader of license-style  document! Someone can confirm this?

> I have not tried JBuilder.

I worked with jbuilder 5 for about 6 mnts, and I feel Eclipse is far
superior. I love the refactoring tools, but I still whisper for a form
builder plugin...(and Borland is a master in this field!)

Concerning elipse and python, I think there are 2 roads.
The first one is using jpe (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpe) the
python-java framework. I've tried it some time ago... and I managed to
  execute python code from a java VM (a jython prompt in reality! ;) but
I stopped there. Perhaps Frederic Giacometti and jython folks can give
some help!

The second one is to use socket (is possible?) to connect to a python
server application... (with the plus that switching various python
versions is very easy)... and move some logic in python (fast
development times ;)

The problem, as usual It's that I have no time ;(

Cya
Paolo Invernizzi